Friday, March 31, 2006

Recipe #1: Herb Roasted Chicken Breast with Wild Mushroom and Spinach Pappardelle

“I used to write and submit articles to food magazines,” I distinctly remember saying these words to Akua hoping that he would post some recipes from the restaurant and my own personal repertoire (with notes on how to pair these with wine) on his new website. Little did I know that this would be an overwhelming task as the whole body of information on food and wine pairing is vast and continuously changing. I was ready to give up and not contact Akua ever again (just kidding) until I came upon this quote in one of the wine books I was reading, “Tastes change; our palates are conditioned by our life experiences.” I’ll admit I’ve cooked all my life, and have known and tasted different kinds of food, but drinking wine for me is a recent thing. I’m still learning about wines by tasting a different one every day and then reading about it at home.

So I’ll start this series with a recipe that I’ve known paired with wines that I’ve had and liked before venturing into uncharted territory. This will be the equivalent of my own blog – I’ll write about food and wine as I go through this profession cooking food and tasting wines that go with them. Each week will be a different recipe and a different wine and hopefully, on the 50th article I’ve written, my tastes would have changed and become more mature to the art of food and wine pairing.

For the first recipe, here’s one of the best-selling pasta dishes from my lunch menu – I’ve received a lot of requests for this from our resort club members who eat at the restaurant all the time. Before it makes an exit on the menu for the summer, I’d like to share this recipe so that you can try it at home while the weather is still cool enough to dictate a pasta dish in a creamy sauce. The recipe has been adjusted slightly so that it would be easy for you to make it in your home kitchen for four people.

I think this dish would be great served with a “big” New World chardonnay. Why not splurge and try using the wine that you would be drinking for the ½ cup called for in the recipe? The typical “oakiness” and full body of these wines would be a good complement to the creamy pasta sauce. Alternatively a dry rose wine from Spain (a personal favorite) or the south of France would also go well with this dish, the dryness and acidity providing a refreshing contrast. Just be sure to show off the bottle, lest your friends think you are drinking White Zin, which I personally think is great with barbequed ribs… but more on that on the next recipe.

Herb Roasted Chicken Breast with Wild Mushroom and Spinach Pappardelle
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 pcs airline chicken breast
½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
4 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 shallots chopped
2 c chopped assorted mushrooms*
4 pcs Roma tomatoes, quartered and roasted in the oven with olive oil until browned
½ c white wine
1 pint heavy cream
½ c chicken jus**
½ c grated fresh parmesan cheese + more for topping
2 c fresh spinach
1 tsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water (optional)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 box (250 g/8.8 oz) pappardelle pasta, cooked

Procedure:
1. Marinate chicken breasts in 1 tablespoon olive oil, rosemary and garlic for an hour. After marinating, discard the garlic and season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
2. Heat remaining oil in a heavy pan and sear the chicken breasts skin side down. Cook until golden brown (5 minutes) then turn and cook the other side for another 5 minutes or until done. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
3. Remove excess fat from the pan, leaving 1 tablespoon. Saute garlic, onions and mushrooms in the pan over medium high heat.
4. Add roasted tomatoes and white wine to deglaze, then the heavy cream and chicken jus.
5. Allow sauce to come to a boil then turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half.
6. Add grated cheese to slightly thicken the sauce, then add the spinach. If the sauce is not thick enough (it should be the consistency of a cream soup) adjust consistency with cornstarch dissolved in water.
7. Add the cooked pappardelle and simmer until the pasta is hot. At the last minute, throw in the chopped fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Divide pasta into 4 individual serving bowls. Carve each roasted chicken breast into 4 slices and place on top of the pasta. Top with more grated cheese and serve immediately.
9. Enjoy!

*At the restaurant we use a combination of portobellos (don’t forget to remove the black underside), shiitakes and small domestic mushrooms.

**We make gallons of our own dark chicken jus at the Veranda for daily use and I think this is too complicated to make at home for just ½ a cup. A good canned low sodium chicken broth combined with the juices of the cooked pan roasted chicken breasts would be a good substitute. Alternatively, make a 1 gallon batch of chicken jus (save the bones the next time you roast chicken – this makes great jus!) and freeze it in small bags to use for sauces such as this.

2 comments:

ragamuffin girl said...

This recipe is perfect for my family and friends -- not too complicated or expensive, not too rich yet very flavorful, what with all the herbs, oven-roasted tomatoes and wine involved. I will prepare this within the next few weeks and take a pic, post it in my blog for all to see, and most of all, I won't forget to acknowledge where it came from! :) The only prob is, I'm not much of a wine drinker. I should be, I know, esp. since I love food. But whatever, maybe when you're based here you can teach me to appreciate wine. welcome to the blogging world, er. kelan ka lilipat dito?

Foodluvr said...

How do I measure out 2 cups of fresh spinach? I want to make this dish tonight but am always warey of how to measure fresh spinach?? Do I just buy a bag? Cut or rip it or keep the leaves whole?? Help I am really looking forward to making this for my family!!